Mathematician - Mathematical Researcher
You are passionate about mathematics and eager to apply them to tackle hitherto unsolved real-life problems.
You are inhabited by the drive, the spirit of adventure and the tenacity essential for doing groundbreaking, fundamental research – not through established mathematical knowledge or techniques, but through radical, novel mathematical approaches and formulations.
You would thrive working in a multi-disciplinary team and are prepared to be continuously challenged whilst contributing to help find original solutions to difficult problems.
You want to do fundamental research in an environment that offers the exciting atmosphere of the most ambitious research organisations in the world and create innovative mathematics with a game-changing impact on global issues of which you want to be able to be proud.
You have confidence in your mathematical talent and are keen to demonstrate it to us.
- a very strong background in mathematics: excellent PhD (outstanding postgraduate Master’s degree or equivalent is the minimum educational requirement).
- a true capability in analysis, abstraction and mathematical formalisation.
- a real “fluency” in a few specific mathematical domains and the ability to rapidly master new areas of mathematics on an ongoing basis.
- the inclination to challenge established mathematical techniques and solutions.
- the urge to share your know-how and enthusiasm within a dynamic team.
We are particularly interested in applicants with highly abstract or pure mathematical backgrounds.
If you are excited by this challenge and the prospect of working in the beautiful city of Edinburgh, then send the following to :
- Your CV (with a list of publications, where relevant).
- A short non-technical essay describing your recent research or degree project, if appropriate.
- A comprehensive cover letter describing you, your professional expectations and why we should be interested in your application.
Salary will depend on relevant individual skills and experience.
Please note that our interview process may require 2 months to complete for successful candidates - this may be important for planning your job applications.
We do not require the services of recruitment agencies.